Antibacterial and photocatalytic activity of undoped and (Ag, Fe) co-doped CuO nanoparticles via microwave-assisted method
Nanoparticles (NPs) are miniature materials ranging from 1 to 100 nm. The NPs have unique chemical and physical properties due to their shape, size and high surface area. This research paper gives a detailed summary of the synthesis, characterization and applications of undoped and (Ag, Fe) co-doped CuO NPs with a diverse concentration of Fe (0.02, 0.04, 0.06 and 0.08 M) at a constant concentration of Ag (0.02 M). X-ray diffractometer (XRD) results revealed average crystallite size of NPs varies in the range 13.10-24.98 nm. Scanning electron microscopy (FE-SEM) showed that the morphology of pure synthesized CuO NPs and Energy dispersive x-ray spectroscopy (EDX) recognized the presence of Ag, Fe elements in the CuO lattice. The particle size obtained by transmission electron microscope (HR-TEM) images was found in the range 19.73-21.47 nm. Cu-O bond stretching of NPs was also confirmed by Fourier Transform Infrared (FTIR) techniques. The values of direct and indirect band gap for CuO were found to be 1.41-1.54 eV and 0.69-1.51 eV respectively. Antibacterial activity for synthesized NPs tested against gram-negative and gram-positive pathogenic bacteria. The photocatalytic properties of synthesized NPs were investigated by monitoring the methyl orange/methylene blue degradation in ultraviolet visible spectroscopy (UV-Vis).
- L.V. Devi, T. Selvalakshmi, S. Sellaiyan, A. Uedono, K. Sivaji, S. Sankar, Effect of La Doping on the Lattice Defects and Photoluminescence Properties of CuO, J. Alloy Compd. 709 (2017) 496-504.
- Z. H. Ibupoto, A. Tahira, H. Raza, G. Ali, A. A. Khand, N. S. Jilani, A. B. Mallah, C. Yu, M. Willander,Synthesis of Heart/Dumbbell-Like CuO Functional Nanostructures for the Development of Uric Acid Biosensor. Mater. 11 (2018) 2-13.
- H. R. Naika, K. Lingaraju, K. Manjunath, D. Kumar, G. Nagaraju, D. Suresh, H. Nagabhushana, Green Synthesis of CuO Nanoparticles using Gloriosa superba L. Extract and their Antibacterial Activity. J. Taibah Univ. Sci. 9 (2015) 7-12.
- A. Balkrishna, A. Kumar, V. Arya, A. Rohela, R. Verma, E. Nepovimova, O. Krejcar, D. Kumar, N. Thakur, K. Kuca. Phytoantioxidant Functionalized Nanoparticles: A Green Approach to Combat Nanoparticle-Induced Oxidative Stress. Oxid. Med. Cell. Longev. 2021 (2021).
- L. Attou, B. Jaber, H. E. Zahraouy, Effect of Annealing Temperature on Structural, Optical and Photocatalytic properties of CuO Nanoparticles, Mediterr. J. Chem. 7 (2018) 308-316.
- Anu, N. Thakur, J. Kumar, Synthesis and characterization of pure and Zn-doped copper oxide. Int. J. Adv. Eng. 7 (2018) 1-5.
- N. Thakur, Anu, K. Kumar, A. Kumar, Effect of (Ag, Zn) co-doping on structural, optical and bactericidal properties of CuO nanoparticles synthesized by a microwave-assisted method. Dalton Trans. 50 (2021) 6188-6203.
- K. A. Mishjil, K. Qader, W. A. Jabber, Z. A. Toma, Study the Effect of Mn-doped CuO Thin Film on its Optical Properties, Mater. Sci. Ind. J. 13(2015) 389-392.
- F. Teng, W. Yao, Y. Zheng, Y. Ma, Y. Teng, T. Xu, S. Liang, Y. Zhu, Synthesis of Flower-like CuO Nanostructures as a Sensitive Sensor for Catalysis, Sensor. Actuat. B 134 (2008) 761-768.
- A. M. E Sayed, M. Shaban, Structural, Optical and Photocatalytic Properties of Fe and (Co, Fe) co-doped Copper Oxide Spin Coated Films, Spectrochim. Acta A Mol. Biomol. Spectrosc.149 (2015) 638-646.
- Y. Gulen, F. Bayansal, B. Sahin, H.A. Cetinkara, H.S. Guder, Fabrication and characterization of Mn-doped CuO thin films by the SILAR method, Ceram. Int. 39 (2013) 6475-6480.
- A. Suganthi, S. J. K. Vethanathan, S. Perumal, D. P. Koilpillai, S. Karpagavalli, Optical and Electrical Properties of Solvothermally Synthesized Manganese Doped Cuprous Oxide Nanoparticles, IOSR J. Appl. Phy. 1 (2017) 43-48.
- K. Kannan, D. Radhika, S. Vijayalakshmi, K. K. Sadasivuni, A. A. Ojiaku, U. Verma, Facile Fabrication of CuO Nanoparticles via Microwave Assisted Method: Photocatalytic, Antimicrobial and Anticancer Enhancing Performance, Int. J. Environ. Anal. Chem. (2020) 1-14.
- Anu, N. Thakur, K. Kumar, K. K. Sharma, Application of Co-doped Copper Oxide Nanoparticles Against Different Multidrug Resistance Bacteria, Inorg. Nano-Metal Chem. (2020) 1-12.
- N. M. Basith, J. J. Vijaya, L. J. Kennedy, M. Bououdina, Structural, Morphological, Optical, and Magnetic Properties of Ni Doped CuO Nanostructures Prepared by a Rapid Microwave Combustion Method, Mat. Sci. Semicon. Proc. 17 (2014) 110-118.
- H. Khmissi, A. M. E. Sayed, M. Shaban, Structural, Morphological, Optical Properties and Wettability of Spin-coated Copper Oxide, Influences of Film Thickness, Ni, and (La, Ni) co-doping, J. Mater. Sci. 51 (2016) 5924-5938.
- A. Balkrishna, V. Arya, A. Rohela, A. Kumar, R. Verma, D. Kumar, E. Nepovimova, K. Kuca, N. Thakur, N. Thakur, P. Kumar. Nanotechnology Interventions in the Management of COVID-19: Prevention, Diagnosis and Virus-Like Particle Vaccines. Vaccines 9 (2021) 1129.
- F. Bayansal, T. Taskopru, B. Sahin, H. A. Cetinkara, Effect of Cobalt Doping on Nanostructured CuO Thin Films, Metall. Mater. Trans. A, 45A (2014), 3671-3674.
- G. Viruthagiri, E. Gopinathan, N. Shanmugam, R. Gobi, Synthesis and Characterization of ZrO2-CuO co-doped Ceria Nanoparticles via Chemical Precipitation Method, Spectrochim. Acta A Mol. Biomol. Spectrosc. 131 (2014) 556-563.
- S. M. Yakout, A. M. El-Sayed, Structural, Morphological and Ferromagnetic Properties of Pure and (Mn, Co) codoped CuO Nanostructures. J. Supercond. Nov. Magn. 29(2016), 2961-2968.
- Y. Lv, L. Li, P. Yin, T. Lei, Synthesis and Evaluation of the Structural and Antibacterial Properties of Doped Copper Oxide. Dalton Trans. 49 (2020) 4699-4709.
- C. Khatana, A. Kumar, M. W. Alruways, N. Khan, N. Thakur, D. Kumar, A. Kumar. Antibacterial Potential of Zinc Oxide Nanoparticles Synthesized using Aloe vera (L.) Burm. f.: A Green Approach to Combat Drug Resistance. J. Pure Appl. Microbiol. 15 (2021) 1907-1914.
- A. Azam, A. S. Ahmed, M. Oves, M., M. S. Khan, A. Memic, Size-dependent Antimicrobial Properties of CuO Nanoparticles against Gram-positive and-negative Bacterial Strains. Int. J. Nanomedicine. 7 (2012) 1-8.
- R. Dadi, R. Azouani, M. Traore, C. Mielcarek, Kanaev, A, Antibacterial Activity of ZnO and CuO Nanoparticles against Gram positive and Gram negative Strains. Mater. Sci. Eng. C, 104 (2019) 109968.
- N. Dasineh Khiavi, R. Katal, S. Kholghi Eshkalak, S, Masudy-Panah, S. Ramakrishna, H. Jiangyong, Visible light driven heterojunction photocatalyst of CuO–Cu2O thin films for photocatalytic degradation of organic pollutants. Nanomater., 9(2019), 2-12.
- P. Kar, K. Shukla, P. Jain, R. K. Gupta, An activated carbon fiber supported Fe 2 O 3@ bismuth carbonate heterojunction for enhanced visible light degradation of emerging pharmaceutical pollutants. Reac. Chem. Engineer., 6(2021), 2029-2041.
- B. Balasubramaniam, N. Singh, P. Kar, A. Tyagi, J. Prakash, R. K. Gupta, Engineering of transition metal dichalcogenides-based 2D nanomaterials through doping for environmental applications. Mol. Syst. Des. Eng., 4(2019), 804-827.
- P. Kar, P. Jain, V. Kumar, R. K. Gupta, Interfacial engineering of Fe2O3@ BOC heterojunction for efficient detoxification of toxic metal and dye under visible light illumination. J. Environ. Chem. Eng., 7(2019), 102843.
- B. Sharma, S. Thakur, G. Mamba, R. K. Gupta, V. K. Gupta, V. K. Thakur, Titania modified gum tragacanth based hydrogel nanocomposite for water remediation. J. Environ. Chem. Eng., 9(2021), 104608.
- P. Jain, A. Kumar, N. Verma, R. K. Gupta, In-situ synthesis of TiO2 nanoparticles in ACF: Photocatalytic degradation under continuous flow. Solar Energy, 189 (2019), 35-44.
- N. Singh, R. Chakraborty, R. K. Gupta,. Mutton bone derived hydroxyapatite supported TiO2 nanoparticles for sustainable photocatalytic applications. J. Environ. Chem. Eng., 6(2018) 459-467.
- T. S. Vijayakumar, S. Karthikeyeni, S. Vasanth, A. Ganesh, G. Bupesh, R. Ramesh, M. Manimegalai, P. Subramanian, Synthesis of Silver-Doped Zinc Oxide Nanocomposite by Pulse Mode Ultrasonication and its Characterization Studies, J. Nanosci. (2013) 1-7.
- R. Gupta, N. K. R. Eswar, J. M. Modak, G. Madras, Ag and CuO impregnated on Fe doped ZnO for Bacterial Inactivation under Visible Light, Catal. Today 300 (2017) 71-80.
- S. Sharma, K. Kumar. Aloe-vera leaf extract as a green agent for the synthesis of CuO nanoparticles inactivating bacterial pathogens and dye. J. Dispers. Sci. Technol. 42 (2021) 1950-1962.
- S. Sharma, K. Kumar, N. Thakur, S. Chauhan, M. S. Chauhan. Eco-friendly Ocimum tenuiflorum green route synthesis of CuO nanoparticles: Characterizations on photocatalytic and antibacterial activities. J. Environ. Chem. 9 (2021) 105395.
- A. P. kumar, N. S. kumar, K. C. M. G. Malar, M. Meena, I. V. Potheher, A Comparative Analysis on the Dye Degradation Efficiency of pure, Co, Ni and Mn-doped CuO Nanoparticles, J. Mater. Sci. Mater. Electron. (2019) 1-17.
- D. Djouadi, O. Slimi, L. Hammiche, A. Chelouche, T. Touam. Effects of (Ce, Cu) Co-doping on the Structural and Optical Properties of ZnO Aerogels Synthesized in Supercritical Ethanol. J. Phys.: Conf. Ser. 987 (2018) 1-10.
- A. Bakravi, Y. Ahamadian, H. Hashemi, H. Namazi, Synthesis of Gelatin-Based Biodegradable Hydrogel Nanocomposite and their Application as Drug Delivery Agent. Adv. Polym. Technol. 37 (2018) 2625-2635.
- N. Thakur, Anu, K. Kumar, Effect of (Ag, Co) Co-doping on the Structural and Antibacterial Efficiency of CuO Nanoparticles: A Rapid Microwave Assisted Method, J. Environ. Chem. Eng. 8 (2020) 1-9.
- J.D. Visurraga, C. Daza, C. Pozo, A. Becerra, C. V. Plessing, A. Garcia, Study on Antibacterial Alginate-Stabilized Copper Nanoparticles by FT-IR and 2D-IR Correlation Spectroscopy, Int. J. Nanomed. 7 (2012) 3597-3612.
- A. A. Radhakrishnan, B. B. Beena, Structural and Optical Absorption Analysis of CuO Nanoparticles, Ind. J. Adv. Chem. Sci. 2 (2014) 158-161.
- S. Dhanuskodi, M. Manikandan, K. Karthik, Structural, Optical and Dielectric Properties of Fe Doped CuO Nanoparticles,Proceedings of National Laser Symposium (NLS-22), Manipal University, Manipal, (2014) 8-11.
- L. S. Miller,. Electron Energy Bands. Electr. Mater., Springer, Boston, MA, 9-17.
- S. Sharma, K. Kumar, N. Thakur, S. Chauhan, M. S. Chauhan, The effect of shape and size of ZnO nanoparticles on their antimicrobial and photocatalytic activities: a green approach, Bull. Mater. Sci. 43 (2020) 1-10.
- S. Sharma, K. Kumar, N. Thakur, M.S. Chauhan, Ocimum Tenuiforum leaf extract as a green mediator for the synthesis of ZnO nanocapsules inactivating bacterial pathogens, Chemical Papers, 50 (2020) 1-11.
- S. Sharma, K. Kumar, N. Thakur. Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles and evaluation of their anti-bacterial activities: use of Aloe barbadensis miller and Ocimum tenuiflorum leaf extracts. Nanofabrication, 6 (2021), 52-67.
- M. Saraf, M. Tavakkoli Yaraki, Prateek, Y. N. Tan, Y.N. , R. K. Gupta, Insights and Perspectives Regarding Nanostructured Fluorescent Materials toward Tackling COVID-19 and Future Pandemics. ACS Appl. Nano. Mater. 4(2021), 911-948.
- Z. Usmani, T. Lukk, D. K. Mohanachandran, V. K. Thakur, V.K. Gupta, D. Robert, J. Raj, F. Scarpa, R.K. Gupta, Biosafe sustainable antimicrobial encapsulation and coatings for targeted treatment and infections prevention: Preparation for another pandemic. Curr. Res. Green. Sustainable. Chem., 4(2021), 1-5.
- B. Balasubramaniam, Prateek, S. Ranjan, M. Saraf, P. Kar, S. P. Singh, V. K. Thakur, A. Singh, R. K. Gupta, Antibacterial and antiviral functional materials: Chemistry and Biological Activity toward Tackling COVID-19-like Pandemics. ACS Pharmacol. Translat. Sci., 4(2021), 8-54.
- N. Thakur, N. Thakur, V. Bhullar, S. Sharma, A. Mahajan, K. Kumar, D. Pathak, TiO2 nanofibers fabricated by electrospinning technique and degradation of MO dye under UV light, Z. Kristallogr. Cryst. Mater. 236 (2021), 239-250.
- G. Hitkari, S. Sandhya, P. Gajanan, M. K. Shrivash, D. Kumar, Synthesis of Chromium Doped Cobalt Oxide (Cr: Co3O4) Nanoparticles by Co-Precipitation Method and Enhanced Photocatalytic Properties in the Visible Region, J. Mater. Sci. Eng. 7 (2018), 2-6.
- T. N. M. Ravishankar, D. O. Vaz, S. R. Teixeira, The Effects of Surfactant in the sol-gel Synthesis of CuO/TiO2 Nanocomposites on its Photocatalytic Activities under UV-visible and visible light illuminations, New J. Chem. 44 (2020) 1888-1904.
How to Cite
Most Read This Month
Copyright (c) 2022 Naveen Thakur, Anu, Kuldeep Kumar, Vijay Kumar Thakur, Sanjeev Soni, Ashwani Kumar, Sher Singh Samant
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.