Synthesis of Biogenic silver nanoparticles using plant growth-promoting bacteria: Potential use as biocontrol agent against phytopathogens
Biogenic nanoparticles (NPs) derived from microbes present an excellent opportunity to deal with various challenges in medicine, diagnosis, environment and agriculture. In the area of agriculture sciences, researchers are facing challenges related to excessive utilization of pesticides which can be answered by utilizing plant growth-promoting (PGP) microbes. Herein, we have employed the culture filtrate of two PBP bacteria strains, Serratia marcescens and Burkholderia cepacia to prepare biogenic silver NPs. The biogenic silver NPs were characterized by various techniques viz. UV-VIS spectroscopy, SEM, XRD and FTIR. The biogenic AgNPs were able to control the growth of phytopathogenic fungi Aspergillus niger, A. fumigatus, Fusarium oxysporum, Pythium sp., and Rosellinia sp. by more than 80% as examined by in vitro growth reduction on agar medium. Very significantly, the growth inhibition of seedlings by phytopathogenic fungi was efficiently rescued using biogenic AgNPs derived from PGP bacteria. These results indicate the potential use of biogenic NPs to reduce the burden of chemical-based pesticides.
- Abdel-Azeem, A., Nada, A. A., O’donovan, A., Thakur, V. K., & Elkelish, A. (2020). Mycogenic Silver Nanoparticles From Endophytic Trichoderma atroviride with Antimicrobial Activity. Journal of Renewable Materials, 8(2), 171–185. http://dx.doi.org/10.32604/jrm.2020.08960
- Ajaz, S., Ahmed, T., Shahid, M., Noman, M., Shah, A. A., Mehmood, M. A., Abbas, A., Cheema, A. I., Iqbal, M. Z., & Li, B. (2021). Bioinspired green synthesis of silver nanoparticles by using a native Bacillus sp. strain AW1-2: Characterization and antifungal activity against Colletotrichum falcatum Went. Enzyme and Microbial Technology, 144, 109745. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enzmictec.2021.109745
- Ates, B., Koytepe, S., Ulu, A., Gurses, C., & Thakur, V. K. (2020). Chemistry, Structures, and Advanced Applications of Nanocomposites from Biorenewable Resources. Chemical Reviews, 120(17), 9304–9362. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.chemrev.9b00553
- Chhipa, H. (2017). Nanofertilizers and nanopesticides for agriculture. Environmental chemistry letters, 15(1), 15-22. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10311-016-0600-4
- Devi, U., Khatri, I., Kumar, N., Sharma, D., Subramanian, S., & Saini, A. K. (2013). Draft genome sequence of plant-growth-promoting rhizobacterium Serratia fonticola strain AU-AP2C, isolated from the pea rhizosphere. Genome announcements, 1(6), e01022-13. https://doi.org/10.1128/genomeA.01022-13
- Djaya, L., Istifadah, N., Hartati, S., & Joni, I. M. (2019). In vitro study of plant growth promoting rhizobacteria (PGPR) and endophytic bacteria antagonistic to Ralstonia solanacearum formulated with graphite and silica nano particles as a biocontrol delivery system (BDS). Biocatalysis and Agricultural Biotechnology, 19, 101153. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bcab.2019.101153
- Ghiuță, I., Cristea, D., Croitoru, C., Kost, J., Wenkert, R., Vyrides, I., Anayiotos, A. and Munteanu, D.(2018). Characterization and antimicrobial activity of silver nanoparticles, biosynthesized using Bacillus species. Applied Surface Science, 438, 66-73. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apsusc.2017.09.163
- Gopinath V, Velusamy P (2013) Extracellular biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles using Bacillus sp. GP-23 and evaluation of their antifungal activity towards Fusarium oxysporum. Spectrochim Acta A MolBiomol Spectrosc 106:170–174 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.saa.2012.12.087
- Gupta, H., Saini, R. V., Pagadala, V., Kumar, N., Sharma, D. K., & Saini, A. K. (2016). Analysis of plant growth promoting potential of endophytes isolated from Echinacea purpurea and Lonicera japonica. Journal of soil science and plant nutrition, 16(3), 558-577. http://dx.doi.org/10.4067/S0718-95162016005000025
- Kah, M., Beulke, S., Tiede, K., & Hofmann, T. (2013). Nanopesticides: state of knowledge, environmental fate, and exposure modeling. Critical Reviews in Environmental Science and Technology. https://doi.org/10.1080/10643389.2012.671750
- Khatri, I., Kaur, S., Devi, U., Kumar, N., Sharma, D., Subramanian, S., & Saini, A. K. (2013). Draft genome sequence of plant growth-promoting rhizobacterium Pantoea sp. strain AS-PWVM4. Genome announcements, 1(6), e00947-13.
- Kumari, R., Saini A. K., Kumar, A., Saini, R. V. (2020). Apoptosis induction in lung and prostate cancer cells through silver nanoparticles synthesized from Pinus roxburghii bioactive fraction. Journal of Biological Inorganic Chemistry. 2020 Feb;25(1):23-37. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00775-019-01729-3
- Li, J., Tian, B., Li, T., Dai, S., Weng, Y., Lu, J., Xu, X., Jin, Y., Pang, R., & Hua, Y. (2018). Biosynthesis of Au, Ag and Au–Ag bimetallic nanoparticles using protein extracts of Deinococcus radiodurans and evaluation of their cytotoxicity. International journal of nanomedicine, 13, 1411. https://doi.10.2147/IJN.S149079
- Lin, N., Wang, C., Ding, J., Su, L., Xu, L., Zhang, B., Zhang, Y., & Fan, J. (2020). Efficacy of nanoparticle encapsulation on suppressing oxidation and enhancing antifungal activity of cyclic lipopeptides produced by Bacillus subtilis. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, 193, 111143. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colsurfb.2020.111143
- Manjunatha, S. B., Biradar, D. P., & Aladakatti, Y. R. (2016). Nanotechnology and its applications in agriculture: A review. Journal of farm Sciences, 29(1), 1-13.
- Mishra, S., Singh, B. R., Naqvi, A. H., & Singh, H. B. (2017). Potential of biosynthesized silver nanoparticles using Stenotrophomonas sp. BHU-S7 (MTCC 5978) for management of soil-borne and foliar phytopathogens. Scientific reports, 7(1), 1-15. https://doi.org/10.1038/srep45154
- Mishra, S., Singh, B. R., Singh, A., Keswani, C., Naqvi, A. H., & Singh, H. B. (2014). Biofabricated silver nanoparticles act as a strong fungicide against Bipolaris sorokiniana causing spot blotch disease in wheat. Plos one, 9(5), e97881. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0097881
- Mittal, D., Shukla, R., Verma, S., Sagar, A., Verma, K. S., Pandey, A., ... & Saini, A. K. (2019). Fire in pine grown regions of Himalayas depletes cultivable plant growth promoting beneficial microbes in the soil. Applied Soil Ecology, 139, 117-124. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apsoil.2019.03.020
- Nair, R., Varghese, S. H., Nair, B. G., Maekawa, T., Yoshida, Y., & Kumar, D. S. (2010). Nanoparticulate material delivery to plants. Plant science, 179(3), 154-163. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.plantsci.2010.04.012
- Narayan, O. P., Verma, N., Singh, A. K., Oelmüller, R., Kumar, M., Prasad, D., Kapoor, R., Dua, M., & Johri, A. K. (2017). Antioxidant enzymes in chickpea colonized by Piriformospora indica participate in defense against the pathogen Botrytis cinerea. Scientific reports, 7(1), 1-11 https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-017-12944-w
- Patel, H., & Krishnamurthy, R. (2015). Antimicrobial efficiency of biologically synthesized nanoparticles using root extract of Plumbago zeylanica as biofertilizer application. International Journal of Bioassays, 4(11), 4473-4475.
- Petatan-Sagahon, I., Anducho-Reyes, M. A., Silva-Rojas, H. V., Arana-Cuenca, A., Tellez-Jurado, A., Cárdenas-Álvarez, I. O., & Mercado-Flores, Y. (2011). Isolation of bacteria with antifungal activity against the phytopathogenic fungi Stenocarpella maydis and Stenocarpella macrospora. International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 12(9), 5522-5537. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms12095522
- Qin J, Tong Z, Zhan Y, Buisson C, Song F, He K, Nielsen-LeRoux C, Guo S (2020) A Bacillus thuringiensis chitin-binding protein is involved in insect peritrophic matrix adhesion and takes part in the infection process. Toxins 12(4):252 https://doi.org/10.3390/toxins12040252
- Raizada, P., Priya, B., Thakur, P., & Singh, P. (2016). Solar light induced photo degradation of oxy-tetra-cyline using Zr doped TiO2/CaO based nanocomposite. http://nopr.niscair.res.in/handle/123456789/35068
- Rana, A. K., Mishra, Y. K., Gupta, V. K., & Thakur, V. K. (2021). Sustainable materials in the removal of pesticides from contaminated water: Perspective on macro to nanoscale cellulose. Science of The Total Environment, 797, 149129. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2021.149129
- Smith, K., Evans, D. A., & El-Hiti, G. A. (2008). Role of modern chemistry in sustainable arable crop protection. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, 363(1491), 623-637. https://doi.org/10.1098/rstb.2007.2174
- Stephenson, G. R., Coats, J. R., & Yamamoto, H. (2001). Pesticide use and world food production: risks and benefits. In Expert Committee on Weeds Comité d’experts en malherbologie. Proceedings of the 2000 National Meeting (pp. 9-15).
- Tilman, D., Cassman, K. G., Matson, P. A., Naylor, R., & Polasky, S. (2002). Agricultural sustainability and intensive production practices. Nature, 418(6898), 671-677. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature01014
- Zahra, Z., Arshad, M., Rafique, R., Mahmood, A., Habib, A., Qazi, I. A., & Khan, S. A. (2015). Metallic nanoparticle (TiO2 and Fe3O4) application modifies rhizosphere phosphorus availability and uptake by Lactuca sativa. Journal of agricultural and food chemistry, 63(31), 6876-6882. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jafc.5b01611
How to Cite
Most Read This Month
Copyright (c) 2021 Divya Mittal, Arun Kumar, Bhuvaneshwari Balasubramaniam, Rahul Thakur, Samarjeet Singh Siwal, Reena V. Saini, Raju K. Gupta, Adesh K. Saini
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.