Insight of the effect of chitosan modification on the photocatalytic properties of metal-based and metal-free photocatalysts
Chitosan is a polymeric material having properties such as adsorption and hydrophilicity. Chitosan itself is almost photocatalytically inactive, but it can couple with other photocatalysts to improve their photocatalytic activity. Chitosan significantly enhances photocatalysts' adsorption and lowers the charge carrier recombination, which ultimately aids in the enhanced photocatalytic activity. In this review, we have discussed chitosan's basic structural, electronic, and chemical properties. We have also explored the photocatalytic properties of chitosan and chitosan-based materials. Since metal-based and metal-free semiconductors are the two major classes of semiconductor photocatalysts, so we have described how chitosan can be used to enhance the limitations of metal-based and metal-free semiconductor photocatalysts. This review will help to develop a better understanding of chitosan and chitosan-based materials for photocatalysis. We have also explored the future aspects of chitosan-based photocatalytic materials to improve the research in the future.
- Adnan, M.A.M., PHOON, B.L., Julkapli, N.M., (2020). Mitigation of pollutants by chitosan/metallic oxide photocatalyst: a review. Journal of Cleaner Production, 261, 121190.
- Ahmad, N., Sultana, S., Faisal, S.M., Ahmed, A., Sabir, S., Khan, M.Z., (2019). Zinc oxide-decorated polypyrrole/chitosan bionanocomposites with enhanced photocatalytic, antibacterial and anticancer performance. RSC Advances, 9(70), 41135-41150.
- Akhundi, A., Habibi-Yangjeh, A., Abitorabi, M., Rahim Pouran, S. (2019). Review on photocatalytic conversion of carbon dioxide to value-added compounds and renewable fuels by graphitic carbon nitride-based photocatalysts. Catalysis Reviews, 61(4), 595-628.
- Akhundi, A., Badiei, A., Ziarani, G. M., Habibi-Yangjeh, A., Munoz-Batista, M. J., Luque, R. (2020). Graphitic carbon nitride-based photocatalysts: toward efficient organic transformation for value-added chemicals production. Molecular Catalysis, 488, 110902.
- Asadzadeh-Khaneghah, S., & Habibi-Yangjeh, A. (2020). g-C3N4/carbon dot-based nanocomposites serve as efficacious photocatalysts for environmental purification and energy generation: a review. Journal of Cleaner Production, 276, 124319.
- Bahrudin, N., Nawi, M., (2019). Mechanistic of photocatalytic decolorization and mineralization of methyl orange dye by immobilized TiO2/chitosan-montmorillonite. Journal of Water Process Engineering, 31, 100843.
- Bergamonti, L., Bergonzi, C., Graiff, C., Lottici, P.P., Bettini, R., Elviri, L., (2019). 3D printed chitosan scaffolds: A new TiO2 support for the photocatalytic degradation of amoxicillin in water. Water Research, 163, 114841.
- Cao, C., Xiao, L., Chen, C., Shi, X., Cao, Q., Gao, L., (2014). In situ preparation of magnetic Fe3O4/chitosan nanoparticles via a novel reduction–precipitation method and their application in adsorption of reactive azo dye. Powder Technology, 260, 90-97.
- Chen, D., Cheng, Y., Zhou, N., Chen, P., Wang, Y., Li, K., Huo, S., Cheng, P., Peng, P., Zhang, R., (2020). Photocatalytic degradation of organic pollutants using TiO2-based photocatalysts: A review. Journal of Cleaner Production, 268, 121725.
- Crini, G., Lichtfouse, E., (2019). Advantages and disadvantages of techniques used for wastewater treatment. Environmental Chemistry Letters, 17(1), 145-155.
- Ge, J., Zhang, Y., Park, S.-J., (2019). Recent advances in carbonaceous photocatalysts with enhanced photocatalytic performances: a mini review. Materials, 12(12), 1916.
- Gharbani, P., Mehrizad, A., (2022). Preparation and characterization of graphitic carbon nitrides/polyvinylidene fluoride adsorptive membrane modified with chitosan for Rhodamine B dye removal from water: Adsorption isotherms, kinetics and thermodynamics. Carbohydrate Polymers, 277, 118860.
- Gusain, R., Gupta, K., Joshi, P., Khatri, O. P. (2019). Adsorptive removal and photocatalytic degradation of organic pollutants using metal oxides and their composites: A comprehensive review. Advances in colloid and interface science, 272, 102009.
- Habibi-Yangjeh, A., Asadzadeh-Khaneghah, S., Feizpoor, S., Rouhi, A. (2020). Review on heterogeneous photocatalytic disinfection of waterborne, airborne, and foodborne viruses: can we win against pathogenic viruses?. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 580, 503-514.
- Haldorai, Y., Shim, J.-J., (2013). Multifunctional chitosan-copper oxide hybrid material: photocatalytic and antibacterial activities. International Journal of Photoenergy, 2013.
- Hariganesh, S., Vadivel, S., Maruthamani, D., Rangabhashiyam, S., (2020). Disinfection by-products in drinking water: Detection and treatment methods, In Disinfection By-products in Drinking Water, 279-304.
- Karimi, M.A., Ranjbar, M., Mohadesi, A., (2021). One‐step ultrasonic production of the chitosan/lactose/g‐C3N4 nanocomposites with lactose as a biological capping agent: Photocatalytic activity study. Journal of the Chinese Chemical Society, 68(7), 1205-1213.
- Khan, A., Goepel, M., Colmenares, J.C., Gläser, R., (2020). Chitosan-based N-doped carbon materials for electrocatalytic and photocatalytic applications. ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering, 8(12), 4708-4727.
- Khan, A.A.P., Singh, P., Raizada, P., Asiri, A.M., (2021). Converting Ag3PO4/CdS/Fe doped C3N4 based dual Z-scheme photocatalyst into photo-Fenton system for efficient photocatalytic phenol removal. Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry, 98, 148-160.
- Khan, H., Khalil, A.K., Khan, A., Saeed, K., Ali, N., (2016). Photocatalytic degradation of bromophenol blue in aqueous medium using chitosan conjugated magnetic nanoparticles. Korean Journal of Chemical Engineering, 33(10), 2802-2807.
- Kumar, A., Singh, P., Khan, A. A. P., Van Le, Q., Thaku, S., Raizada, P. (2022a). CO2 photoreduction into solar fuels via vacancy engineered bismuth-based photocatalysts: Selectivity and mechanistic insights. Chemical Engineering Journal, 439, 135563.
- Kumar, R., Raizada, P., Ahamad, T., Alshehri, S.M., Van Le, Q., Alomar, T.S., Nguyen, V.-H., Selvasembian, R., Thakur, S., Nguyen, D., (2022b). Polypyrrole-based nanomaterials: A novel strategy for reducing toxic chemicals and others related to environmental sustainability applications. Chemosphere, 134993.
- Kumar, R., Sudhaik, A., Khan, A.A.P., Raizada, P., Asiri, A.M., Mohapatra, S., Thakur, S., Thakur, V.K., Singh. P., (2022c). Current status on designing of dual Z-scheme photocatalysts for energy and environmental applications. Journal of Industrial and Engineering Chemistry, 106, 340-355.
- Kyzas, G.Z., Fu, J., Lazaridis, N.K., Bikiaris, D.N., Matis, K.A., (2015). New approaches on the removal of pharmaceuticals from wastewaters with adsorbent materials. Journal of Molecular Liquids, 209, 87-93.
- Lee, M., Chen, B.-Y., Den, W., (2015). Chitosan as a natural polymer for heterogeneous catalysts support: a short review on its applications. Applied Sciences, 5(4), 1272-1283.
- Li, C., Xu, Y., Tu, W., Chen, G., Xu, R., (2017). Metal-free photocatalysts for various applications in energy conversion and environmental purification. Green Chemistry, 19(4), 882-899.
- Li, Q.-H., Dong, M., Li, R., Cui, Y.-Q., Xie, G.-X., Wang, X.-X., Long, Y.-Z., (2021). Enhancement of Cr (VI) removal efficiency via adsorption/photocatalysis synergy using electrospun chitosan/g-C3N4/TiO2 nanofibers. Carbohydrate Polymers, 253, 117200.
- Li, X., Zhang, Z., Fakhri, A., Gupta, V. K., Agarwal, S. (2019). Adsorption and photocatalysis assisted optimization for drug removal by chitosan-glyoxal/Polyvinylpyrrolidone/MoS2 nanocomposites. International journal of biological macromolecules, 136, 469-475.
- Mansur, A.A., Mansur, H.S., Ramanery, F.P., Oliveira, L.C., Souza, P.P., (2014). “Green” colloidal ZnS quantum dots/chitosan nano-photocatalysts for advanced oxidation processes: study of the photodegradation of organic dye pollutants. Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, 158, 269-279.
- Mills, A., Davies, R.H., Worsley, D., (1993). Water purification by semiconductor photocatalysis. Chemical Society Reviews, 22(6), 417-425.
- Mourya, V., Inamdar, N.N., (2008). Chitosan-modifications and applications: Opportunities galore. Reactive and Functional Polymers, 68(6), 1013-1051.
- Natarajan, S., Bajaj, H.C., Tayade, R.J., (2018). Recent advances based on the synergetic effect of adsorption for removal of dyes from waste water using photocatalytic process. Journal of Environmental Sciences, 65, 201-222.
- Ngah, W. W., Teong, L. C., Hanafiah, M. M. (2011). Adsorption of dyes and heavy metal ions by chitosan composites: a review. Carbohydrate polymers, 83(4), 1446-1456.
- Nithya, A., Jothivenkatachalam, K., Prabhu, S., Jeganathan, K., (2014). Chitosan based nanocomposite materials as photocatalyst–a review, Materials Science Forum. Trans Tech Publ, 79-94.
- Ogawa, K., Yui, T., Okuyama, K., (2004). Three D structures of chitosan. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 34(1-2), 1-8.
- Preethi, J., Farzana, M.H., Meenakshi, S., (2017). Photo-reduction of Cr (VI) using chitosan supported zinc oxide materials. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 104, 1783-1793.
- Rana, A., Sudhaik, A., Raizada, P., Nguyen, V. H., Xia, C., Khan, A. A. P., Thakur, S., Nguyen-Tri, P., Nguyen, C.C., Kim, S.Y., Van Le, Q., Singh, P. (2022). Graphitic carbon nitride based immobilized and non-immobilized floating photocatalysts for environmental remediation. Chemosphere, 297, 134229.
- Saad, A.M., Abukhadra, M.R., Ahmed, S.A.-K., Elzanaty, A.M., Mady, A.H., Betiha, M.A., Shim, J.-J., Rabie, A.M., (2020). Photocatalytic degradation of malachite green dye using chitosan supported ZnO and Ce-ZnO nano-flowers under visible light. Journal of Environmental Management, 258, 110043.
- Shen, H., Durkin, D.P., Aiello, A., Diba, T., Lafleur, J., Zara, J.M., Shen, Y., Shuai, D., (2021). Photocatalytic graphitic carbon nitride-chitosan composites for pathogenic biofilm control under visible light irradiation. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 408, 124890.
- Škorić, M.L., Terzić, I., Milosavljević, N., Radetić, M., Šaponjić, Z., Radoičić, M., Krušić, M.K., (2016). Chitosan-based microparticles for immobilization of TiO2 nanoparticles and their application for photodegradation of textile dyes. European Polymer Journal, 82, 57-70.
- Sudhaik, A., Raizada, P., Khan, A. A. P., Singh, A., & Singh, P. (2022). Graphitic carbon nitride-based upconversion photocatalyst for hydrogen production and water purification. Nanofabrication, 7.
- Verma, M. L., Kumar, S., Das, A., Randhawa, J. S., Chamundeeswari, M. (2020). Chitin and chitosan-based support materials for enzyme immobilization and biotechnological applications. Environmental Chemistry Letters, 18(2), 315-323.
- Vigneshwaran, S., Preethi, J., Meenakshi, S., (2019). Removal of chlorpyrifos, an insecticide using metal free heterogeneous graphitic carbon nitride (g-C3N4) incorporated chitosan as catalyst: Photocatalytic and adsorption studies. International Journal of Biological macromolecules, 132, 289-299.
- Wang, H., Wu, Y., Wu, P., Chen, S., Guo, X., Meng, G., Peng, B., Wu, J., Liu, Z., (2017). Environmentally benign chitosan as reductant and supporter for synthesis of Ag/AgCl/chitosan composites by one-step and their photocatalytic degradation performance under visible-light irradiation. Frontiers of Materials Science, 11(2), 130-138.
- Xiong, S., Liu, M., Yan, J., Zhao, Z., Wang, H., Yin, X., Wang, L., Chen, S., (2018). Immobilization of Ag3PO4 nanoparticles on chitosan fiber for photocatalytic degradation of methyl orange. Cellulose, 25(9), 5007-5015.
- Yahya, N., Aziz, F., Jamaludin, N., Mutalib, M., Ismail, A., Salleh, W., Jaafar, J., Yusof, N., Ludin, N., (2018). A review of integrated photocatalyst adsorbents for wastewater treatment. Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering, 6(6), 7411-7425.
- You, J., Liu, C., Feng, X., Lu, B., Xia, L., Zhuang, X. (2022). In situ synthesis of ZnS nanoparticles onto cellulose/chitosan sponge for adsorption–photocatalytic removal of Congo red. Carbohydrate Polymers, 288, 119332.
- Zhang, M., Xiong, J., Yang, H., Wen, Z., Chen, R., Cheng, G., (2020). Surface Potential/Wettability and Interface Charge Transfer Engineering of Copper-Oxide (Cu–MOx, M= W, Ti, and Ce) Hybrids for Efficient Wastewater Treatment through Adsorption–Photocatalysis Synergy. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 59(35), 15454-15463.
- Zhao, C., Yan, Q., Wang, S., Dong, P., Zhang, L., (2018). Regenerable g-C3N4-chitosan beads with enhanced photocatalytic activity and stability. RSC advances, 8(48), 27516-27524.
- Zhao, Y., Tao, C., Xiao, G., Su, H., (2017). Controlled synthesis and wastewater treatment of Ag2O/TiO2 modified chitosan-based photocatalytic film. RSC advances, 7(18), 11211-11221.
- Zhu, H., Jiang, R., Fu, Y., Guan, Y., Yao, J., Xiao, L., Zeng, G., (2012). Effective photocatalytic decolorization of methyl orange utilizing TiO2/ZnO/chitosan nanocomposite films under simulated solar irradiation. Desalination, 286, 41-48.
- Zhu, H., Jiang, R., Xiao, L., Chang, Y., Guan, Y., Li, X., Zeng, G., (2009). Photocatalytic decolorization and degradation of Congo Red on innovative crosslinked chitosan/nano-CdS composite catalyst under visible light irradiation. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 169(1-3), 933-940.
- Zhu, H., Jiang, R., Xiao, L., Liu, L., Cao, C., Zeng, G. (2013). CdS nanocrystals/TiO2/crosslinked chitosan composite: Facile preparation, characterization and adsorption-photocatalytic properties. Applied surface science, 273, 661-669.
How to Cite
Most Read This Month
Copyright (c) 2022 Rohit Kumar, Anita Sudhaik, Pankaj Raizada, Archana Singh, Tansir Ahamad, Aftab Aslam Parwaz Khan Khan, S. Rangabhashiyam, Pardeep Singh
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.